Monday, September 21, 2009

10+1 Reasons to Love 'True Lies'


  • It is the best Arnold movie behind Terminator (1 & 2) and Predator. He is funny, self-aware, and still built like a mountain.
  • Its humor made me laugh the first time I saw it (and still does).
  • TOM ARNOLD: In the best role that I've seen him in, as a chubby sarcastic secret agent. Bill Paxton comes in second place as a comic relief co-star.
  • Some just plain cool action scenes, including: The coolest scene in any movie featuring a Harrier VTOL fighter jet....
  • ... A chase involving a horse and a motorcycle...
  • ...A great brawl/shootout in public restroom, and...
  • ...A great infiltration (and escape from) a snowy chateau.
  • Did you know it was Eliza Dushku's breakout?
  • The bad guy (pre-9/11) is a carbon copy of Osama bin Laden. Good thing this was made when it was, because it would have been trickier in a post-9/11 world to make a movie with a US Govennor beating the hell out of Osama bin Laden (and yes, eventully thwarting a terrorist plan involving a nuke and exploding pseudo-Osama into a billion tiny pieces of flesh).
  • I like Brad Feidel (Terminator)'s soundtrack. You might not remember it, but it was exciting and fitting.
  • Speaking of, this movie was a re-teaming of Arnold, Feidel, Bill Paxton and James Cameron from Termintor. How many bad movies has James Cameron made? I can't think of any (though I don't watch Titanic too often, personally).
What's not to like about this movie? What can I say, it makes me laugh each time see it, and the action is the perfectly balance between semi-realism and Hollywood ridiculousness. Casablanca, it ain't, but sue me.... I love this movie.

1 comment: